Friday, November 27, 2009

#41 Wellness: Going Green - Part 1

Activity 1
I have been looking at some of the energy calculators this evening and have found that the three websites listed vary greatly in the questions they ask, and the amount of detail they use in making their calculations. Also, since we have lived in our current house less than a year, it is difficult to calculate the average monthly usage. I could only use 6 months of data, which included the hottest months of the summer. Also, at least one of the sites lumped all SUVs in one group, and I am sure, calculated the energy use as very high. My small Toyota SUV, however, is fairly economical on fuel usage, and even the larger SUV my husband drives does better than many large SUVs and pickups. My husband and I seem to be about average in our consumption, according to the calculators given here.

As far as reducing our usage, I don't know how much more we can do. We have always limited unnecessary driving, combined trips, and tried to reduce our usage of electricity as much as possible. This includes regular maintenance on the vehicles, turning the thermostat to 80 degrees in summer and 70 in winter, regularly changing air conditioner filters, and otherwise trying not to be wasteful. I would like to recycle more, but there do not seem to be any places on this side of town to easily recycle plastics, glass, cans, etc. If one must drive a long distance to find a recycling location, the benefit is lost. We will continue to do the best we can.

Activity 2
I visited a farmer's market in Lufkin, TX with my mother-in-law a few years ago. I don't remember what we bought that day. I wish there were more convenient locations in our area for locally grown produce. The ones listed in the websites given are not on this side of town. I am interested in the new farmer's market in Humble, TX, but since it is only open on Wednesday morning, and I am always working at that time, I am not likely to be able to utilize it frequently. I might try to visit that one sometime when I am on vacation. I would definitely be interested in having a good farmer's market close to us.

No comments: