Friday, November 20, 2009

#40 Fitness

I have spent some time looking at all the suggested websites for this activity. As usual, I have been reminded of the need for regular exercise. All the suggested websites contained useful information. Mayo Clinic is always an authoritative source for information, and I liked the primusweb.com site, too.


I did fairly well at exercising regularly during the Live Healthy Challenge, but have slowed down recently for a number of reasons. I have started trying to walk more regularly in the last week or so. I know that I need to exercise, but it is just hard to find the time to do it. This assignment is a good reminder of the need to do so.

I don't know how much value is to be found in the Health Age Questionnaire. The calculator puts my life expectancy at 97.5 years. That is probably a bit optimistic. Some of the questions were a bit vague, and on some of the questions, none of the possible answers were correct for me. This would obviously influence the results of the survey. The calorie requirements calculator says I should be eating about 2000 calories per day. I'm not certain I am estimating my activity level correctly, so this also might not be accurate. My BMI showed about what I thought it would, but once again, the information gathered is incomplete. For instance, no allowance was made for bone structure or physical conditioning. The only variables were age. height and weight. In spite of that, the BMI score is probably the most accurate of the three.

This exercise is a good reminder of the need for exercise. The survey results were a bit surprising, but given the number of variables, should probably should be taken with a grain of salt.

No comments: