Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Week 8, #18 Social Networking

I was somewhat familiar with Myspace before this exercise, but I am not really interested in this type of communication. My idea of social networking is lunch with a couple of friends or a potluck supper with the church ladies. I think it is a generational thing to a great extent. I look at my daughter-in-law's Myspace page occasionally. I might be interested at some point in a group that addresses a particular health concern or personal interest, such as those available on Ning, but right now I just don't have time for that sort of thing. Also, I think I am a very private person and the idea of putting personal information out there for everyone to see just goes against my nature. In looking at Myspace, I found some 18 year old girls who were using the site as a way to meet guys, which just blows my mind. They obviously don't realize how much danger they are in. I am glad my children are adults and are responsible enough to be cautious. I know that if I ever decide to participate in a site of this kind, the information posted will be very general in nature.

No comments: